POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : real scripting in povray? : Re: real scripting in povray? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:35:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: real scripting in povray?
From: Ken
Date: 30 May 1999 03:23:19
Message: <3750D8F3.DDC25598@pacbell.net>
Daren Scot Wilson wrote:

> Yeah, that would save some typing.
>
> I see the same trend happening with povray as with the data analysis software
> I'm writing for a client.   I had a nice simple scripting language for data
> analysis and generating plots, but we found we needed "if" statements, then
> "if-then-else" and then we needed "goto" - youch! try adding that to a parser
> that wasn't designed for it - and now maybe text string variables, and ..., and
> ..., and ...
>
> It seems that most script languages that try to keep simple end up growing all
> the other features found in most programming languages.  So why not just adopt
> an existing language, an object-oriented one, perhaps Python, and put all the
> good stuff like geometric models, textures, lights, etc. into libraries of
> classes?   This would allow unlimited possibilities for looping, calculating,
> user-defined functions, debugging support, and more.
>
> What would be the relative advantages of 1) just adding new keywords and
> directives to povray's existing language;  2) expanding it so much that it
> becomes a "real" language; and 3) giving up and using an existing outside
> language, making
>
> --
> Daren Scot Wilson
> dar### [at] pipelinecom
> www.newcolor.com
> ----

A few of my thoughts on your query:

Who will these changes serve ?

What percentage of the current user base will benefit from the proposed
changes and how many might suffer as a result ?

Will my 8 3/5 year old nephew still be able to use the program after these
changes are made ? ( I don't think so )

  By changing to a "real" programing language interface you will be
changing it into a programmers interface that takes specialized
programming skills to use rather than the simple parser description
language in use now. I don't believe you understand how important that
is for people that have no skills in programming.

  I read a newsgroup post somewhere a couple of months ago from a 55
year old new computer user with about 9 months total experience using
any kind of computer system. He could hardly contain his joy at having
been introduced to povray and while everything he tried was confusing
he felt that Pov was structured in such a logical way that it was only
a matter of time before he picked up speed.

  Personally I think such a change would make Povray more difficult for
non programmer people to use it and runs a very serious risk of excluding
a large part of the current user base. I have squat for programming
skills but am considered one of the advanced users in this group. If
you change it into a programming language interface you will turn me
into an instant newbie and I would in most likelihood abandon using
Pov as a result.

  By adopting a "real" programming language interface you will start
one of the largest wars known to the history of the program as to which
of the multitude of programming languages will be adopted as the most
flexible and the language of choice. Not insurmountable but it will
certainly never gain a total consensus by everyone.

  Let us not forget that the current level of simplicity is extended
to people from all walks of life, country of origin, and age group.
Also bear in mind the international flavour of this program and how
difficult it is for non english speaking people to understand even
the simple directives used in the text interface of the program due
to language barriers. If you adopt a program language interface and
abandon the current system you may increase that language barrier
even further.

  It may sound like I am being overly negative in my response but I
prefer that you accept them as rational and very real considerations.
When contemplating such a serious change to an already well established
program also keep in mind the Pov team and it's supporters have gone out
of their way to maintain consistency and backward compatibility throughout
it's long history and you are advocating something that would throw that
whole philosophy right out the window.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net